May 30, 2016
2016 GreenTec Awards presented in festive ceremony
Environmental technology trade fair IFAT gets off to a very successful start
A glamorous evening comes to an end: Europe's most important environmental and business awards were presented in the run-up to IFAT, which takes place at the Messe München trade-fair center from May 30 to June 3. The winners were honored before approximately 1,000 guests and prominent speakers at a spectacular stage event at the Internationales Congress Center München. So once again the GreenTec Awards were a successful kick-off to IFAT, the World's Leading Trade Fair for Water, Sewage, Waste and Raw Materials Management.
When the GreenTec Awards call, prominent guests come running: As always, plenty of prominent people were on hand to walk down the traditional “green carpet,” which was made of real grass this year. NENA, Revolverheld, Thomas D, Désirée Nosbusch, Franziska Knuppe, David Mayer de Rothschild, Christopher von Deylen (Schiller), Nina Ruge and plenty of others sent a clear message for the important topics of sustainability and the environment.
As in 2014, the GreenTec Awards Ceremony kicked off IFAT, the World's Leading Trade Fair for Water, Sewage, Waste and Raw Materials Management, for the second time. Stefan Rummel, Managing Director at Messe München, was thrilled: “We could not have asked for a better way to kick off IFAT. The GreenTec Awards are the perfect platform for us to showcase the innovations in the environmental sector that are presented at IFAT.”
Once again, Marco Voigt, who initiated the GreenTec Awards, was very pleased with this year's results: “Innovative projects, prominent people who support our ideas and the ‘Who's Who’ of the environmental industry: This year's GreenTec Awards were a complete success. They show how important these topics have become in the everyday lives of each one of us and that our winners and speakers have found exactly the right solutions.”
As always, however, the entire evening revolved around the winners in 14 categories and five special awards:
- Automobility: Schaeffler/LuK GmbH & Co. KG for an automatic clutch that makes it possible to optimize fuel consumption.
- Construction and Living: ECOCELL AG for using recycled paper to optimize building construction.
- Bike: Magnic Innovations' contact-free rim dynamo generates electricity without batteries.
- Energy: devolo AG detects low-voltage distribution grid parameters in real time.
- Green Office by KYOCERA: VAUDE Sport GmbH & Co. KG stressed the importance of ecology awareness when rebuilding its company headquarters.
- Communication: ugly fruits launched a campaign demonstrating that taste has nothing to do with appearance.
- Lifestyle: nearBees delivers regional honey from local beekeepers right to your front door.
- Aviation: Airbus Group developed an electric training aircraft for future pilots.
- Production: Heliatek's organic solar films make it possible for green facades to generate energy.
- Recycling and Resources: REMONDIS TetraPhos® recovers phosphates from sewage sludge ash.
- Travel: NORLED developed the world's first zero-emission ferry.
- Urbanization: STEAG Power Minerals developed its Photoment® concrete additive that lowers nitrogen oxide emissions.
- Water and Sewage: Kassel University is helping the needy in disaster areas with PAUL, a decentralized water supply system.
- Special Galileo Wissenspreis (Pro Sieben): Kiezkaufhaus is an online shop and bicycle delivery service that allows local merchants to deliver their products by bike.
- KYOCERA Special Award “Grüner Handel”: Green IT—Das Systemhaus GmbH
- IFAT Environmental Leadership Award: State of Green
- Music Special Award: Thomas D sends a message with his music and through his commitment to environmental protection.
- Start-up Special Award: EXYTRON for environmentally friendly storage of electricity from predominantly renewable energy sources.
- WWF Galileo Green Youngster Award: Jorma Görns and Simon Lange from Gymnasium Altenholz developed a biogas plant to turn organic waste from the school cafeteria into high-quality methane.
Additional information is available at www.ifat.de and www.greentec-awards.com
Pictures can be found at www.greentec-awards.com/en/press-newsroom/downloads